Thursday 8 April 2010

THOSE PICCIES I PROMISED -

Hullo again. This post is an annex to the previous one, so if it doesn't make any sense to you, go back a notch.

Also - sorry the previous post was so interminably long and rambling. I'll try harder for succinctness, next time, but may not succeed.

And now: here's the plant that made me think a high class tart had broken in.

Zaluzuanskya ovata a South African beauty which looks like a Silene but is related to foxgloves, snap dragons and figwort.

The red-backed, white-faced flowers are night scented but droop and half-close by day.

2 comments:

  1. I grew this one from seed - nursed it along on the light table - gave it a Canadian summer - it produced one blossom before the snow came. How old is this tart if I may ask?

    p.s. Silly tourists don't care what time it is. Unless they think the bars are open two hours longer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got one of those! It has survived the winter outdoors and looks quite well. I had forgotten about its flowers opening in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete